profile

Curious Muse

๐Ÿงฉ Do You Follow The 80/20 Rule?

Published 5 months agoย โ€ขย 2 min read

Hey Reader, ๐ŸŒฑ

โ€‹

In 1906, Vilfredo Pareto made a fascinating discovery. ๐Ÿง

While tending to his garden, he noticed that about 20% of the pea pods he grew were responsible for roughly 80% of the peas. ๐ŸŒฟ This got him thinking about whether this same idea could apply to other things.

So, Pareto, who was an economist, looked at data about how wealth was distributed in Italy. ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น And guess what? He found that around 20% of the Italian population owned about 80% of the land. ๐Ÿ’ฐ This was a big "aha!" moment for him, and he started seeing this 80/20 pattern in lots of other situations too. ๐Ÿ’ก

In business, people often notice that about 20% of their customers bring in about 80% of their profits. ๐Ÿ’ผ In software development, fixing the most important 20% of bugs usually takes care of about 80% of the problems. ๐Ÿž This idea applies to many different areas.

It's important to remember that the numbers 80 and 20 aren't exact. They're more like general guidelines. The main idea here is that a small number of things often have a big impact. ๐ŸŽฏ

So, if you want to be more productive, think about focusing on the 20% of tasks or activities that will give you the most benefit. ๐Ÿš€ Whether it's in your work, your relationships, or your hobbies, finding that important 20% can help you get more out of your efforts.

For example, at work, if you have a to-do list with 10 tasks, according to the Pareto Principle, just 2 of those tasks (the most important 20%) could give you 80% of the most important results. โœ… These tasks might be finishing a big project or setting up an important meeting. Instead of trying to do everything on your list, start by focusing on those two key things to make a big impact. ๐Ÿ’ช

This idea can also apply to your personal relationships. Think about your group of friends. You might find that you get a lot of joy, support, and meaningful interactions from just a few people. โค๏ธ By putting more effort into these key relationships, you can feel more emotionally satisfied and supported.

Remember, identifying the 20% that matters most in different parts of your life doesn't mean you should forget about the other 80%. Those other tasks and relationships still have value. But knowing where to put in extra effort can make you more effective and happy with how you spend your time. ๐Ÿค”

The great thing about focusing on this "important 20%" is that it helps you be more deliberate with your efforts. Instead of trying to do many things without a clear sense of their value, the Pareto Principle encourages you to stop, think, and concentrate on what will give you the biggest rewards for your efforts. ๐Ÿ’ฅ

In simple terms, it's about working smarter, not harder. ๐Ÿง 

So, have you applied the 80/20 rule to your work or life? How did it work out for you? ๐ŸŒŸ


๐Ÿ”ฅ New Video

Mystery. Loneliness. Isolationโ€ฆ are the words that can describe Edward Hopperโ€™s paintings. ๐Ÿ˜” Considered among the masters of presenting urban isolation, Hopper is widely acknowledged as the most important realist painter of twentieth-century America.

In our latest YouTube video, weโ€™ll explore why this enigmatic artist retains his power and why his paintings resonate a lot with viewers today. ๐ŸŽฅ

What do you think of Edward Hopper and his art? Would you hang his painting in your room? Join the discussion on YouTube and let us know which topic we should cover next. ๐Ÿ’ก
โ€‹

๐Ÿ’ก Curious Bites

๐Ÿฃ Hidden symbols or Arnolfini Portrait

Have you seen this picture? Most likely, yes. It's the renowned work by Jan van Eyck depicting Italian merchant Arnolfini and his significant other in their home in Bruges. However, this painting contains LOTS of hidden treasures. Can you spot them all? ๐Ÿง

๐Ÿชฒ Would you wear a dress with a BEETLE on it?

Thanks to Darwin and some Indian inspiration, Victorian people got super interested in animals. This led to a cool trend of using green Laceae beetles in fancy jewelry, like sewing them onto fancy dresses. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

โ€‹

โœ๏ธ Quote of the week

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela

โ€‹

Stay curious and have a great week! ๐Ÿ’™

Artem & Curious Muse team

โ€‹

Curious Muse

Your fast track to a brighter self

Join the global knowledge community of 250,000+ muses for easy-to-digest tips, actionable insights and learning bites for culturally curious.

Share this page